Thursday, September 24, 2009

An Important Date....

Over the last several weeks we have been studying the wonderful chapter of Psalms119. This study will take us quite some time to complete but, if there is one thing this chapter has taught us - it is that it is imperative that, as God’s people, we need to be under the Word as much as possible! It is impossible for me to overdose on the Word of God! All day on Sunday, October 18th and Monday evening of the 19th, we will have Bro. David Miller preaching the Word of God to us. Bro. David is from Heber Springs, AR and is the founder of Line Upon Line Ministries. While he suffers from a degenerative muscular disease called peroneal muscular atrophy and must preach from a wheelchair, Bro. David stands head and shoulders above most preachers in our day. He is an incredible man of God in and out of the pulpit! If I knew the exact day I was going home to be with our Lord, and I had only one last sermon to hear, without a doubt I would choose to hear a sermon from Bro. David Miller. I have known him since I was in grade school and every single time I have ever heard him preach, he has done nothing but clearly exegete the Word of God.

When I came to Trinity I was asked by several individuals if we would have evangelist come in for revivals. My answer was “yes”, after all the Word of God tells us in Ephesians that evangelists are gifts to the church. So, if we are going to be a Biblical church, we should be using those gifts God has given us. I must confess however, when I answered yes I gave two things we must do: (1) Support them: This may come as a surprise to some of you who have spent most of your life at Trinity or in churches like her. But, most Baptist churches are small… Bro. David has been with me at both of my previous pastorates. The first time he was with me, I believe was my first year as a Pastor and we were averaging about 60 people in Sunday School. I can tell you that size church is more of the “norm” than a church Trinity’s size. In saying that, we are not only giving to Bro. David’s ministry, we are also enabling him to go to other churches much smaller than ours when we invest in his ministry. We have done this with every man who has filled Trinity’s pulpit since I have been here. (2) Attend the meetings: The service we have on Monday will take the place of our normal Wednesday services… so come and invite others to come with you! It is impossible to have church if the church doesn’t come.

I tell you all this because I want you to PLAN and PRAY. I want you to plan to be here and pray that God does a great work through Bro. David Miller!

No comments: