Friday, October 9, 2009

Growing Men and Ladies in Godliness

As I have outlined the biblical vision for Trinity in previous posts, I wanted to share a point of rejoicing this past week during our staff meeting…but, let me first explain…

When God chose to allow me the joy of being Pastor of Trinity, I knew there were some things that we needed to immediately establish: first, I wanted to make it crystal clear, from a biblical perspective, what God required out of our men and women with regard to their biblical roles specifically in marriage (this began during our marriage series). Secondly, I wanted to make sure we, as a church, understood not only the authority and inerrancy of the Word of God, but the sufficiency of the Word of God in every area of our lives (I pray this is being done as we walk through Psalm 119). Third, I knew we had to understand the biblical concept of what being a Peace Maker looked like. In our churches around America we have “Peace Fakers”, we have gossips, we have strife, but we fail to understand what Peace Making is all about (obviously this is what I pray is being accomplished during our Sunday morning services). I pray we will continue to grow in our knowledge about these subjects, as well as others that we will be dealing with in the coming months and years. I say all of this because as we have studied these different series, so many of you have shared with me how you wish you would have known these things years ago…to which I echoed those sentiments. How much further in my walk would I be, and how many mistakes and sinful strongholds I would have avoided, if I had known and applied these truths!

Now, back to our staff meeting….I explained all of this because Bro. Brad Walker has headed up a great event for our students! To be honest, I forget the catchy name he has for the event for the young ladies (something about pampering), but for the young men he is hosting a “Man VS Wild” weekend. While this will be a fun and exciting weekend, it is weekend that will be teaching our young men and young ladies what it means to be a godly man and a godly woman! I can’t think of a more appropriate topic in our society – a society that is so confused about what real biblical manhood and womanhood looks like! As I think about events like this and what Bro. Jeff Summers is teaching our children, I feel very confident that the next generation of Trinity Baptist Church will be well grounded. They are being taught things that were not a priority when many of us were growing up in church. My boys know more doctrine at their age (9, 11) than I did when I went into High School. As we teach our students these life changing truths, we must also remind them “to whom much is given, much is required.” As they learn these truths, make sure you help teach them and apply them to their lives on a daily basis. Then rejoice as you watch the Spirit of God and the Word of God take root in their life!

No comments: