Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Welcome to Holding to Truth!

Welcome to my blog! It is my prayer that this blog encourages, challenges, and inspires you to be a man/woman of The Book. The purpose of this blog as you will see in my next post is primarily for the members of Trinity Baptist Church. I have only been the Pastor of this dear church for about a month. But my desire is to use every tool available to enhance their walk with God and love for the Word. Let me begin by stating how I came up with this name. I battled for some time as to what to name this. I wanted something that would capsulate my ultimate desire for this blog, so I played with long names and short names and still nothing seemed to fit. One name that I thought of was based in a quote by one of my favorite preachers of all time. The great London preacher Charles Spurgeon, read the outstanding book The Pilgrim’s Progress every year. He had great admiration for John Bunyan, as all lovers of Christian literature should. When Spurgeon spoke of Bunyan he said:
He had studied our Authorized Version…til his whole being was saturated with Scripture; and though his writings are charmingly full of poetry, yet he cannot give us his Pilgrim’s Progress---that sweetest of all prose poems---without continually making us feel and say, “Why, this man in a living Bible! Prick him anywhere; and you will find that his blood is Bibline, the very essence of the Bible flows from him. He cannot speak without quoting a text, for his soul is full of the Word of God.
Now I must confess that I can not say this of myself, nor would anyone else, but oh it is the desire of my soul! I want to know Him more, so I better know His Word more. My favorite chapter in all the Bible is Psalm 119. It tells us such great truths about what the Word does in our lives. In verse 7 I am reminded that I can’t even praise Him rightly if I do not know His Word. So while this blog may share much of my life, I hope throughout this blog you see in the words a “bibline” theme. I desire for each of us to hold to the Truth - with diligence and desperation! I look forward to the days ahead as God sanctifies us together through His Word. It will be an honor to have you read this blog as we walk through this journey together.

Bro. Chad Everson
Pastor, Trinity Baptist Church

No comments: